POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Differences from 3.6 to 3.7 : Re: Differences from 3.6 to 3.7 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:33:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Differences from 3.6 to 3.7
From: Chambers
Date: 6 Feb 2006 20:47:28
Message: <43e7fc30$1@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> Chambers wrote:
>> The main problems seem to be the refracting chess pieces, where
>> performance slows to a crawl.  I'm going to go out on a limb here,
>> because I don't know the internals much, except for what I've read on
>> these newsgroups, but here's my guess:
>
> The guess is not correct because _your_ "model" of what POV-Ray does is
> not correct.

Good to know.

> Unfortunately, you did not provide an INI file,

Use quickres.ini, it comes standard with POV-Ray.

> nor information if your
> data is for the whole animation of just one frame.

Sorry, I assumed that when you read "Command-line settings are: +w800
+h450", you would realize that I was giving *all* command-line settings.
  In other words, just the first frame (clock=0).

> There could also be
> numerous other things wrong,  and it would also not be the first time 3.7
> just assumes slightly diffrent default settings 8or uses one
> incorrectly). The major problem though is that your scene is just to
> complex to be of much use for saying what could be wrong by just looking
> at it.
>
>     Thorsten

Well, I didn't expect it to be a "smoking gun" or anything, I just
thought it would be an interesting example of 3.7 not behaving as expected.

Again, what really surprised me is that the sse2 build, running with a
single thread, was still about 7-8 times slower than 3.6.

...Chambers