POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Differences from 3.6 to 3.7 : Differences from 3.6 to 3.7 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:32:12 EDT (-0400)
  Differences from 3.6 to 3.7
From: Chambers
Date: 6 Feb 2006 19:45:08
Message: <43e7ed94$1@news.povray.org>
Go here:
http://www.geocities.com/bdchambers79/pov_test/beta11c.html

I thought this scene would be useful for developers, as it demonstrates
a couple of things.

1) The scene renders much too brightly in version 3.7
2) Speed in 3.7 is abysmal.  3.6 renders it at 800x450 in just under 2
minutes, and 3.7 takes just over 15.

In both cases, I'm using identical ini-file settings.
The 3.7 version is set to use /threads 4 (I've tried /threads 1, and no
setting {16 threads default?}, to no avail).  I'm on a Pentium 4 2.8gHz,
no Hyperthreading support so I don't expect the threading to help too
much.  However, I would expect the sse2 build to increase performance.

The main problems seem to be the refracting chess pieces, where
performance slows to a crawl.  I'm going to go out on a limb here,
because I don't know the internals much, except for what I've read on
these newsgroups, but here's my guess:

I read previously that 3.7 now implements a document / view model, where
the render is essentially a view of the document (the scene).  When a
translucent object is traced, it spawns many more rays which must query
the scene, thus a large amount of interprocess communication.  In 3.6,
this isn't a problem.  3.7, however, must spawn messages for each ray,
creating a huge amount of overhead when many reflective / refractive
objects are being traced.

Although, I've been wrong many times before, and I wouldn't be surprised
if I were wrong again right now :)

...Chambers