POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Media absorption problem : Re: Media absorption problem Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:17:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media absorption problem
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 5 Feb 2006 19:08:57
Message: <43e69399$1@news.povray.org>
"RCRuiz" <ram### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> "Bob Hughes" <omniverse@charter%net> wrote:
>> "RCRuiz" <ram### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
>>
>> Coincident surfaces can be a common problem, in this case the media is
>> apparently affected
>
> nope, it did not fix the problem but thanks . .  I just found my error ,
> is
> in max_trace_level on the global settings I put 8 and problem fix :D

Curiously, I tried your script by replacing the declared object with box
{-1,1} and placed one at +y so they overlap and max_trace_level 256 can't
remove the artifacts. Only goes away when I scale one of them to 1.001. In
fact, if I use scale 1.0001 the shadow shows a square but the media objects
themselves seem okay.

I also gave larger media samples value a try and that didn't change the
original problem.

Makes me wonder if your camera is positioned in a way that makes a
difference. I did think at first that max_trace_level could be the fault
since it wasn't an artifact showing at any actual side where surfaces would
be coincident but changing that hasn't done anything here.

I'm surprised about the discrepency between rendered results we have, except
it could be computer/version/other specific. Important thing is that you
fixed it.

Bob Hughes