POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Possible bug in Radiance HDR output code : Re: Possible bug in Radiance HDR output code Server Time
14 May 2024 04:06:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Possible bug in Radiance HDR output code
From: Ray Gardener
Date: 4 Feb 2006 20:49:21
Message: <43e559a1$1@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> Well - all i wanted to say is that there isn't any urgency in making
> such a change since it does not in any way affect program operation.

Oh, certainly. I'm just reporting things as long as I'm spotting
something out of the ordinary anyway.

Oh, it's on line 506 too. Just to be safe I did a testapp and yes,
there's no danger with the original code; it's only a readability issue.
To some extent open source projects have a higher emphasis on
readability, since they're intended for public consumption, but of
course it's the maintainer's call as to how to follow up.

MSVC issues this, interestingly enough:

warning C4554: '|' : check operator precedence for possible error; use
parentheses to clarify precedence

So if someone had a treat-warnings-as-errors compiler setting, the build
would fail, but that's not the same as a runtime issue for sure. And I
imagine those doing a build would probably know enough coding or their
compiler settings to resolve the issue locally. It depends on what build
experience a provider is aiming for; totally turnkey or
some-assembly-required. I imagine given MegaPOV's nature of
experimentation it's more the latter; official POV-Ray might lean to the
the former.

Ray