POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Garfield's Proof of the Pythagorean Theorem : Re: Garfield's Proof of the Pythagorean Theorem Server Time
5 Jul 2024 10:38:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Garfield's Proof of the Pythagorean Theorem
From: Thibaut Jonckheere
Date: 1 Feb 2006 15:44:48
Message: <43e11dc0$1@news.povray.org>
Dave Matthews wrote:
> Back in 1876, then US Congressman James Garfield came up with a "new" proof
> of the Pythagorean Theorem, based on the area of a trapezoid.  Four years
> later, he would be elected President, and a few months after assuming
> office he was assassinated.  There is no evidence that his proof of the
> Pythagorean Theorem had anything to do with the assassination.

I have a vague remembrance from an article I read some time ago, that
this guy was also able to write with one hand in latin, and at the same
time with the other hand in greek...

The animation is nice, but I find it goes and moves a bit too quickly to
allow to really understand the proof at first view.

Thibaut