POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : reflection on surfaces with big bump_size : Re: reflection on surfaces with big bump_size Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:16:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: reflection on surfaces with big bump_size
From: Chris B
Date: 30 Jan 2006 08:26:49
Message: <43de1419$1@news.povray.org>
"zuegs" <zue### [at] bluewinch> wrote in message
> Hi Chris B
>
> ... snip ...
>
> http://www.rowen.ch/pov/povref1.jpg
>
> On left-side is the default povray handling and at the right-side is the
> new
> handling. Up-side without aliasing, down-side with aliasing.
>
> As you can see, with new handling the reflection stays bumpy/blurry and
> gives a more realistic result for me.
>
> I would feel very happy if you could tell me what you think about...
> .... with best regards
>
> zuegs

Hi Zuegs,

I'm with you. I think your version looks better.
I'm not sure what the correct route would be to propose this as a change to
the POV-ray source code.

I see that there are newsgroups on povray.programming and on
povray.unofficial.patches.
Also I think Mega-POV includes unofficial patches, so it may be worth
contributing to that.

Because it potentially affects any surface with a pronounced normal and
where the line of sight of the camera is close to parallel to the surface, I
suspect there'll be more chance of adoption if it's a parameter controlled
change, as this would reduce the risk of interfering with existing scenes.

Good luck,
Chris B.