POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Isosurface warning message : Re: Isosurface warning message Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:24:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface warning message
From: Sebastian H
Date: 30 Jan 2006 06:03:49
Message: <43ddf295@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> Sebastian H. wrote:
>
>> I have a scene that contains some thousand isosurfaces with
>> slightly different functions. It is so many because I split
>> up a big isosurface into pieces to gain some render speed.
>> It actually worked and now the render process takes about
>> one third of the time it needed before.
>> But now there occur hundreds of warnings that the max_gradient
>> is too high. There is no simple way to adjust it into the optimal
>> range. The value now  is chosen for that it would fit in (nearly)
>> every case.
>>
>> All together the test animation that renders at the moment already
>> makes 4MiB of fatal messages. Even piping everything to /dev/null takes
>> some seconds for every frame. This also is no real option because I
>> would like to keep other fatal messages and also don't want to spend
>> seconds for message disposal.
>>
>> Is there a way to turn off these "lower max_gradient" messages?
>

> The messages are warning, not fatal or non-fatal error messages. You can
> either redirect just the warning stream to /dev/null, or, more
> efficiently, you can use the "Warning_Level" INI option and set it to 0.
> This makes POV-Ray internally disregard the warnings relatively early,
> thus avoiding some overhead associated with sending warnings to the
> output stream.

Great, reducing the warning level helps. Thank you very much.
Now I redirect all message streams to separate files respectively.
But the "lower max_gradient" messages definitely end up in the fatal
message file. So are they warnings or fatals or may this even be a bug?
The warning stream file contains just some warnings related to
screen.inc.

There's another curiosity. The first fatal message in the fatal message
file mentions a max_gradient of 10.850 found whereas the
max_gradient should have had been set to 13.000. But the greatest
max_gradient value to be found set in the whole scene is 5.0.
Another max_gradient value that can be found set and which possibly
was used is 1.35 (approx. 13.0/10). A max_gradient of 1.085 found also
would be feasible for the used isosurface and it would include a factor
of 1/10. This possible (and strage) multiplication by 10 happens only
for the first isosurface message in the fatal message file.

I rendered the scene with +GFfatal.txt.
Doing "cat fatal.txt | grep found" replies the following.

Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 10.850, but
max_gradient of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.670, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.178, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.573, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.846, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.256, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.782, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.456, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.398, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.716, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.404, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.413, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.400, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.309, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.522, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.527, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.597, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.467, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.012, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.066, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.072, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.163, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.287, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.958, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.001, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.996, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.000, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.000, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.223, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.321, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.847, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.541, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.039, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.994, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.368, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.404, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.841, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.388, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.386, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.393, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.888, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.995, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.990, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.284, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.231, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.370, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.884, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.999, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.998, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.200, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.285, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.430, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.885, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.999, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.988, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.265, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.033, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.902, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.083, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.388, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.739, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.952, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.991, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.998, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.998, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.996, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.042, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.305, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.811, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.689, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.019, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.081, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.080, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.163, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.307, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.832, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.423, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.663, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.823, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.849, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.527, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.792, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.815, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.394, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.829, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.771, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.757, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.384, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.914, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.964, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.995, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.041, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.271, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.798, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.264, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.745, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.832, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.372, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.799, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.812, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.202, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.717, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.349, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.329, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.838, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.727, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.346, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.151, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.387, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.786, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.780, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.258, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.212, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.690, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.906, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.927, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.982, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.997, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.263, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.722, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.629, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.158, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.480, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.518, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.697, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.676, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.708, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.549, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.167, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.433, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.465, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.479, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.489, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.670, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.646, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.516, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.340, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.374, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.573, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.414, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.548, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.317, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.565, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.480, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.700, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.258, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.827, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.314, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.747, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.774, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.620, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.606, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.750, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.693, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.764, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.737, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.839, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.783, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.634, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.533, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.805, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.827, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.338, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.702, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.790, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.824, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.725, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.810, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.681, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.692, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.713, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.804, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.835, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.591, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.495, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.924, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.833, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.946, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.997, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.755, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.828, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.840, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.710, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.054, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.051, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.789, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.129, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.694, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 1.139, but max_gradient
of the
Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 0.849, but max_gradient
of the

The rendered image seems in no way affected by this minor message
mystery. I just wanted it to be mentioned.

The povray version used is 3.6.1 compiled with gcc 3.3.5
(Debian sarge/stable).

Regards,
Sebastian