POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Isosurface warning message : Re: Isosurface warning message Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:18:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface warning message
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 26 Jan 2006 17:31:39
Message: <43d94dcb$1@news.povray.org>
Sebastian H. wrote:
> I have a scene that contains some thousand isosurfaces with
> slightly different functions. It is so many because I split
> up a big isosurface into pieces to gain some render speed.
> It actually worked and now the render process takes about
> one third of the time it needed before.
> But now there occur hundreds of warnings that the max_gradient
> is too high. There is no simple way to adjust it into the optimal
> range. The value now  is chosen for that it would fit in (nearly)
> every case.
>
> All together the test animation that renders at the moment already
> makes 4MiB of fatal messages. Even piping everything to /dev/null takes
> some seconds for every frame. This also is no real option because I
> would like to keep other fatal messages and also don't want to spend
> seconds for message disposal.
>
> Is there a way to turn off these "lower max_gradient" messages?

The messages are warning, not fatal or non-fatal error messages. You can
either redirect just the warning stream to /dev/null, or, more efficiently,
you can use the "Warning_Level" INI option and set it to 0. This makes
POV-Ray internally disregard the warnings relatively early, thus avoiding
some overhead associated with sending warnings to the output stream.

	Thorsten