POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : The Chasm - Teaser : Re: The Chasm - Teaser Server Time
8 Jul 2024 11:10:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Chasm - Teaser
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 14 Jan 2006 08:27:49
Message: <43c8fc55$1@news.povray.org>
> Interesting. Though because all you're showing is a few rotating objects I
> think you really need some work on the materials so they look more
> realistic. The stones are almost flat grey (though with a nice specular
> highlight on the first one) and the first sword doesn't look like metal,
and
> it also appears to be completely blunt. Also the wood and leather are just
> flat brown, rather than showing grains and wear patterns like one might
> expect. The samurai sword looks pretty good.
>
> If that's all you're going to show us for now it should look as good as
you
> can make it, IMO.

Thanks for the comment. The idea was to show that I'm not after a very
realistic rendering at all, but rather more stylized and recognizable. So
yeah, the sword looks blunt and the textures are more or less like colored
with crayons. It's less about how good I can make it (I know that I could do
much better if I wanted to), but more, what do I want my audience to expect
the short will look like? If I go 100% realism here, I'm sure I'd disappoint
in the short. Though I want to make the short as I good as I can, there's a
limit to how long I want to spend on scenes and, especially, how long do I
want them to render.

I might have gone a little further than I took it, but I'd rather improve
for the short, than the other way round. :-)

--
aka "Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>