POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : The Chasm - Teaser : Re: The Chasm - Teaser Server Time
5 Jul 2024 10:35:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Chasm - Teaser
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Jan 2006 13:30:40
Message: <43c7f1d0$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias wrote:
> "Some things had better been left imperfect" is what I wrote, I thought it
> expresses how it's more of a thought, than a fact, that some things
> shouldn't have been perfected. Not?

I'm just saying, as a native speaker of American english, the verb
construction sounds awkward. While "had been left imperfect" is a good
conjugation, putting the "better" in there without adjusting the tense
throws the sentence off.

Hmmm... The problem, I think, is that "had been left imperfect" is
(IIRC) future-perfect. It's something that's saying "when viewed from
the future, this already had passed and continued for a while." "I had
been running when..." Throwing the "better" in there negates the sense
of the sentence, so there's an awkwardness in the phrasing. You're
saying "as viewed from the future, it hasn't happened", but the sentence
doesn't have any subjunctive in it to tell you it's a hypothetical.
You're saying they *had* been left imperfect, then negating it, basically.

Maybe it sounds right if you're British or something? :-)  It was just
kind of jarring, because it didn't sound right. "Some things would
better have been left imperfect" is the closest I can think of. You need
the "should" or "would" in there, methinks.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
    Luke, the Force is a powerful ally,