POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Camera/Debug suggestions for Pov-Ray : Re: Camera/Debug suggestions for Pov-Ray Server Time
1 Jun 2024 07:17:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Camera/Debug suggestions for Pov-Ray
From: Warp
Date: 12 Jan 2006 15:27:40
Message: <43c6bbbb@news.povray.org>
Ghost2 <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> 1.) Have a 'Disable' keyword available for (most) objects.  If POV-Ray
> encounters this (or a similar keyword) in an objects description, then it
> won't render it.  This would be a much better solution than having to
> comment out large blocks of code.

  I don't think it's too much of a trouble to use boolean identifiers
and #if clauses to conditionally render things. I personally use this
way a lot:

#declare Fast = yes;
global_settings
{ #if(!Fast)
    photons { ... }
  #end
}

#if(Fast)
  box { whatever }
#else
  object { ComplexObject }
#end

and so on.

  I also often use identifiers to turn on and off many things in the
scene, like for example:

#declare UseAreaLights = yes;
#declare FastTextures = no;
#declare UsePhotons = yes;
#declare SimpleObjects = no;

plus the necessary #ifs using those identifiers. It makes rendering debug
scenes quite a lot easier.

--
                                                          - Warp