POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Sky_sphere and HDRi : Re: Sky_sphere and HDRi Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:23:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sky_sphere and HDRi
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 11 Jan 2006 21:09:40
Message: <43c5ba64$1@news.povray.org>
"Afishionado" <afi### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> I'm wondering: Would it be feasable to use radiosity with a sky sphere to
> generate HDR-ish effects from within Pov-ray?
>
> Since sky_spheres only take pigments, not full textures, I can't see how
> do it directly with a sky_sphere. If I simply apply a sky_sphere pigment
> a scaled up sphere, the pigment gets all messed up, because sky_spheres
> map
> pigments differently than a normal sphere.

sky_sphere {
  pigment {image_map {hdr MAP once interpolate 2 map_type 1}}
}

Sky_sphere shouldn't map different then a sphere, but what does happen is
that a sky_sphere is infinite, whereas a sphere isn't, so depending upon the
size of the sphere and the location of your camera, the scene can look
different because of perspective.  Try using a larger sphere to minimize
this.

One advantage that a sphere has over a sky_sphere is that it has a finish
block so you can increase the ambient value to increase the radiosity
influence of the HDR, whereas with sky_sphere, it is much more difficult to
do.

Hope that helps a little.

-tgq