POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Lightcurve inversion : Re: Lightcurve inversion Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:24:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lightcurve inversion
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 10 Jan 2006 17:04:16
Message: <43c42f60$1@news.povray.org>
"Dan_The_Man" <dan### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> I have experience writing C code but not C++.
> I am atempting to create an image from photometric lightcurve data of an
> asteroid.
> Does anybody know of code available for lightcurve inversion

I don't. Could be interesting stuff.

Is it based on rotation and time, then?

Making guesses here, but it might only cover one brightness change during a
one-axis spin, or something like that. Basically similar to a variable star
lightcurve, perhaps, so the shape and brightness would be seen as the same
thing. In fact, if it were more complex data than that, you might have a lot
of work ahead by having to figure other aspects, such as precession, if it
is indeed only a lightcurve varying over multiple spins of the asteroid.
Still, sounds intriguing to try and create a surface texture or shape from
such information.

In the most simplistic way I think it should be easy to just vary color
(brightness) across the face of a sphere. Nothing much to that. If there are
multiple spins then a series of spheres (blob) could be textured separately
along a spline, so that it creates both a surface and brightness as it goes
around a central point. That would probably be what I'd try anyway. Not sure
of meshes or other possibilities but other people could say if they see your
message and reply. A lot depends on the actual way that data is done.