POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Copyright question : Re: Copyright question Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:28:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Copyright question
From: Jim Charter
Date: 9 Jan 2006 14:12:43
Message: <43c2b5ab@news.povray.org>
Rene Bui wrote:
>>So, I'd say We'll have to wait some 35 years more to be sure Escher's works
>>are public domain...
>

> Note that in visual arts there is also moral right, and it is perpetual as
> well as inalienable in EU. It may be transmitted mortis causa to the heirs
> of the author. (i.g Arts Foundations etc)
> http://www.studiolo.org/CIP/VARA/Failing/Failing.htm
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_rights

Good point.

There was a great example of this in Canada concerning a sculpture by
Michael Snow.  The sculpture depicts a flight of geese in the process of
landing.  It is comprised of many realistic fiberglass models of geese (
surfaced with tromp l'oeil photographs of feathers ) suspended from the
glassed barrel dome of a shopping mall called the Eaton Center in
downtown Toronto.  The mall is/was? owned by Eaton's who are like the
Macy's of Canada.  For Chrismas one year the Center's decorations
included ribbons tied on the necks of the geese.  Snow sued to have them
removed and won.

The incident is recounted briefly here:

http://advertisinglawyer.wld.com/news-mag-1999-04.htm

The quote mentioned here talked about "dangling earrings from the Venus
de Milo"  but as I recall a more popular version involved the notion of
"dangling a bell from Eaton's nose" (there is also a stature of the
department store chain's founder in the Center)

Either way Snow's victory caused quite a stir among nominally liberal
but somewhat provincial Canadians.  Eaton was, after all, a great man of
commerce.  Who was some artist to challenge the great man's ego?