POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Copyright question : Re: Copyright question Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:21:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Copyright question
From: Alain
Date: 6 Jan 2006 12:25:48
Message: <43bea81c$1@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2006-01-06 09:27:
> I have a question about copyright.
>
> Over the last few months I've posted images (see p.b.i.) of my version of
> Escher's Double Planetoid illustration. I'm thinking of rendering some
> images, including this one, for exhibition on Zazzle. Although the image
> was completely generated from scratch by me, the inspiration and concept
> obviously come from Escher's work. My question is, would I be infringing
> any existing copyright by doing this? If so, is there a way around it (i.e.
> a credit to the original artist)?
>
> I appreciate that this isn't a 100% POV-Ray issue, but I know that some of
> you out there are by necessity familiar with the vagaries of copyright law!
>
> Any advice on this would be very helpful.
> Bill

Your work is different from Esher's work. It is an original creation inspired by the
style and a
particular Esher's print, not a copy. Different tools, different paroach, a kind of
emulation of a
Master and Precursor.

My opinion would be to mention the inspirational source and tell that you have NO
intention to
chalenge any copyright or intelectual property.

Alain