POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPOV 1.2.1 and reflection blur : Re: MegaPOV 1.2.1 and reflection blur Server Time
14 May 2024 07:10:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPOV 1.2.1 and reflection blur
From: Warp
Date: 5 Jan 2006 08:35:19
Message: <43bd2097@news.povray.org>
GP70 <pap### [at] liberoit> wrote:
> In any case I would be very happy if an efficient way to have blurred
> reflections with physically correct behaviour will be included in future.

  I'm afraid that's next to impossible.

  The only way in a generic raytracer like povray to get accurate blurred
reflections is to shoot many rays. There just aren't any better alternatives.

  One alternative is to use an environment map. However, this technique
has several problems:
  - It's not physically accurate (especially with objects close to the
reflecting object).
  - It cannot be used for self-reflection.
  - It cannot be used for mutual reflection of two reflecting objects.
  - It's limited by the pixel size of the map and consumes tons of memory.

--
                                                          - Warp