POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : using assumed_gamma of 1.0 ... a discussion : Re: using assumed_gamma of 1.0 ... a discussion Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:27:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using assumed_gamma of 1.0 ... a discussion
From: Christian Walther
Date: 30 Dec 2005 06:01:16
Message: <43b5137c@news.povray.org>
Kenneth wrote:
> BTW, If you haven't already done so, I
> would strongly recommend taking a look at the following (more or less
> definitive) website about this, and the gamma question in general...
>
> http://www.poynton.com/notes/Timo/Concerning_Timo.html
> and fish around for Poynton's other pages as well, especially his GAMMA FAQ.
>  A very knowledgable fellow.

I didn't know about that Timo incident, but I do know Poynton's Gamma
FAQ, Color FAQ etc. They're among the primary sources of my knowledge in
this area, actually.

I just followed some links from there and ended up at an interesting
article that seems to contradict what I said about the moon:
<http://www.optics.arizona.edu/Palmer/moon/lunacy.htm> (Caution: his GIF
images of a lambertian sphere are encoded with a gamma of 1 and don't
appear correctly on usual displays! In fact, I wouldn't be too surprised
if they were made using POV-Ray without an assumed_gamma statement.)

> Before commenting further, a quick question: What computer
> system are you running POV on?

Mac OS X on PPC G4, mostly. Occasionally, Linux or Windows on x86. Why?

  -Christian