POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Quality difference btw V3.1 and V3.6 : Re: Quality difference btw V3.1 and V3.6 Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:23:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quality difference btw V3.1 and V3.6
From: Alain
Date: 26 Dec 2005 13:43:49
Message: <43b039e5$1@news.povray.org>
olafcbx nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-12-26 12:02:
> Hi,
>
> I retraced a scene I did previous with with V3.1 with V3.6 (for Windows).
> I rendered a lot faster, but I am not happy with the quality.
> The Anti aliassing looks worce, and I noticed strange black lines on edgeds
> that I havent seen before.
>
> As the images are 7800 x 5200 pixels I do not include them :-)
>
> This is the .ini file I used for both V3.1 and V3.6
>
> I re-rendered the same scene with 3.1 and 3.6 again to be sure and used
> Paint Shop pro to compare side-by-side.
>
> Is there a known problem or a fix?
> Or can I no longer expect the same results without a modification in the
> ..ini file?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Olaf
>
> ------------- the ini file used ----------------
>
> ; O. Veenstra  2003/06/29
> ; cbx total for zazzle
> ;------------------------
> Input_file_name     = raytracezazzlecbxscenescbx_zazzle_01.pov
> Output_File_Type    = N
> output_file_name    = raytracetile_colorfull_7800_5200_v31
>
> Library_Path        = raytracezazzlecbxscenes
>
> Width               = 7800
> Height              = 5200
>
> Quality             = 9
>

> ; anti alias options
> ; ------------------
>
> antialias               =    On
> antialias_Threshold     =    0.5
>
> Sampling_Method         =    2
> Jitter                  =    Off
>
> display = no

I can't tell about the added black lines. It can depend on the kind of object you are
using.
For the jaggyness, it's due to the altered antialias used.
With v3.1 and earlier, the values where clipped before the antialiasing was done.
With v3.5 and later, the clipping is done AFTER the antialiasing.
The clipping I'm talking about is when a colour component exeed 1, or is lower than 0,
and is
brought back in the 0..1 range.
Possible workaround include:
  - reducing any ambient value, possibly down to ambient 0
  - lowering the intensity of your light(s)
  - using slightly darker pigments
  - if using specular or phong, lowering the intensity of the highlight
Personaly, I prefer my metalic textures with the ambient set to zero, they look better
acording to
my taste. (you have to do this if you want to use them in a radiosity scene,
otherwise, your metals
will emit light...)

--
Alain
BACHELOR: A man who never makes the same mistake once.