POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Quality difference btw V3.1 and V3.6 : Re: Quality difference btw V3.1 and V3.6 Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:23:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quality difference btw V3.1 and V3.6
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 26 Dec 2005 13:37:32
Message: <43b0386c@news.povray.org>
As for the tile on the floor, I guess it's a superellipsoid. I'm not sure
why, but perhaps something has changed in the way the code is calculated,
but maybe "sturm" might help.

As for the aliasing: POV-Ray 3.6 doesn't clip the colors before averaging
the pixels anymore. So at edges where a very bright and a very dark color
meet (e.g. rgb 3 vs rgb .01) you get a very bright pixel. POV-Ray 3.1
clipped before the averaging, and you always had color samples in the range
rgb 0 to rgb 1. If you want the same effect, either render in 3.1, or render
the scene at several times the size and reduce it with a paint programm to
average neighbouring pixels.

I myself am not as happy with the new handling either, and hope that in
future version you might choose which behaviour you want (the new handling
is more realistic, but, as you noticed, sometimes defeats the purpose of
antialiasing that we want/need).

But, in general, it is often wise to have copies of old applications around
to run old files on them. There's always something that changes, and
sometimes the new behaviour isn't compatible with the new version at all.
(Though that often covers other apps than POV-Ray, they do a fairly good job
at backward-compability).

Regards,
Tim

--