POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Linux VS Xp : Re: Linux VS Xp Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:28:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux VS Xp
From: Warp
Date: 23 Dec 2005 03:48:49
Message: <43abb9f0@news.povray.org>
Larry Hudson <org### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> The Windows render was about 3 seconds
> faster (which surprised me, I expected Linux to be the faster).

  Why? I can't think of anything which would make Linux faster than
Windows (or the other way around, for that matter) when running POV-Ray.

  One thing which *could* affect the speed is how well the OS performs
task switching, but that's usually such a light operation that it doesn't
really matter all that much.

  With POV-Ray 3.7 there could, at least in theory, be a bigger difference
between operating systems, but not likely either (unless there are several
physical processors on the system, especially if there are a lot of them).

--
                                                          - Warp