POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Linux VS Xp : Re: Linux VS Xp Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:19:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux VS Xp
From: Larry Hudson
Date: 22 Dec 2005 20:53:08
Message: <43ab5884$1@news.povray.org>
FrogRay wrote:
> "Edee" <rah### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>>Is there a significant improvement in rendering time by switching to Linux
>>from XP?
>>

> My suggestion would be to install a Linux distro that allows you to dual
> boot.  Render your scenes under both Xp and Linux and compare the results.

I tried this comparison once some time ago on a 1.67MHz Athalon, 1GB RAM
system running Win2K, but I don't remember what Linux distro I was using
at that time, probably RedHat 9.  I rendered an image under both OS's
which took about 30 minutes.  The Windows render was about 3 seconds
faster (which surprised me, I expected Linux to be the faster).  This
obviously is not a very definitive test, but it suggests to me that the
OS doesn't make much difference.

      -=- Larry -=-