POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : isosurface interior : Re: isosurface interior Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:21:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: isosurface interior
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 21 Dec 2005 21:54:41
Message: <43aa1571$1@news.povray.org>
"Thomas A. Fine" <fin### [at] head-cfaharvardedu> wrote in message

> I'm trying to make the expanding cloud of an explosion by shaping an
> isosurface to roughly the shape of the explosion, and then filling it
> with scattering media
> I get a mostly black object.

Apparently a max_trace_level related problem, as well as too low a
max_gradient in the isosurface itself. POV suggests a max_gradient of around
35 or 36, but I also found that global_settings {max_trace_level 30} helps
clean it up.

Messing around with your media I tried this, too:

   media {
    method 2
    samples 3
    scattering { 1, <0.3,0.2,0.01> extinction 0.8 }
    emission <0.4,0.2,0.1>
    absorption <0.1,0.3,0.9>
    density {
     crackle
     density_map {
      [0 rgb 0] [1 rgb 5]
     }
     scale 0.2
    }
   }

So it would look more like a fiery cloud, even if it might not be what
you're wanting exactly. Never-ending tweaking, this kind of stuff is, as you
probably know. Just my feeble attempt there.

Bob