POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Teaching povray to kids : Re: Teaching povray to kids Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:24:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Teaching povray to kids
From: Sebastian H
Date: 19 Dec 2005 05:45:05
Message: <43a68f31@news.povray.org>
Eero Ahonen wrote:
> Greg M. Johnson wrote:
>
>>I'm considering teaching povray to a group of kids-- perhaps a youth group
>>at my church.  I'm wondering what age you'd think say the top 80% of the
>>kids would have the capacity to appreciate it.  (Or say an application like
>>blender using freeware models).
>

> Dunno about age, but certainly after school has started to teach
> geometry, including the cordinate system.

Actually I learned that from/with/while using povray and was
quite astonished by the right handed coordinate system in
school :-). I think I was about 12-14 then.
Three of six school newspaper covers I made were done with
PoV-Ray. Unfortunately I lost all of them during a several
HD-Crashes over the years without having full backups
(Not affordable to me that time...).

I like the idea very much to teach PoV-Ray.
It gives a very smooth relation between math and images/animations
with which one can impress parents/frineds without the need
to explain thing they're not interested in at all.
It's like a soft entry to math. At least that was it for me.

Regards,
Sebastian