POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lens simulation -> texture ? : Re: Lens simulation -> texture ? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:23:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lens simulation -> texture ?
From: Simon Dyer
Date: 10 Dec 2005 17:09:53
Message: <439b5231@news.povray.org>
Lets push this a bit - I read somewhere here how Povray could be used to
calculate distances for us - could we get photons or rays to design each
'pixel' of  fresnel lens/lenticular to design a flat lens for a particular
purpose.  For example, provide the start and target for a light path to take
through a refractive medium, and have that medium defined by povray?

"Simon Dyer" <sim### [at] paradisenetnz> wrote in message
> If you want to see my first attempt, see "green photons render" in
> povray.binaries.images.
>
> "Simon Dyer" <sim### [at] paradisenetnz> wrote in message
> > I'm trying to simulate a lens as a texture in plastic, similar to the
> effect
> > of a lenticular or fresnel lens.
> > PovRay seemed to make sense to simulate the plastic, but oh what a
> learning
> > curve.
> >
> > Wondered if anyone could point me to a texture library or tutorial to
help
> > in this endeavour.
> >
> > The plan is to design the shape ( thin plastic about 2mm thick ) and add
> an
> > underside repeating pattern texture that will let light arriving at the
> > normal through from above but not light that hits at a tight angle.
Once