POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Copyright issues for using images generated from POV Models. : Re: Copyright issues for using images generated from POV Models. Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:20:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Copyright issues for using images generated from POV Models.
From: Chris B
Date: 7 Dec 2005 12:04:51
Message: <43971633@news.povray.org>
"Justin" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.4396f272f346736792409d3d0@news.povray.org...
> Hello all,
>
> I was wondering if any POV models are available in the public domain.  I
> am
> a researcher, interested in estimating the motion of a camera from several
> pictures taken by that camera from different views.  I have been using
> this
> excellent software to generate images with "known" camera motion.
> However,
> I can find no clear documentation of what legal issues exist for using the
> models.  I have used (significantly modified) version of several of the
> scenes that are distributed with the software.  Would it be permissible to
> publish these images in a scientific journal?
>
> thanks very much for any reply,
> Justin

If you go into help and look for 'license', under 'usage conditions' it
says:
"The creator of a scene file retains all rights to any scene files they
create, and any images generated by the Software from them."

Then a couple of lines down it clarifies the position with the supplied
include files with:
"The User is also granted the right to use the scene files, fonts, bitmaps,
and include files distributed in the INCLUDE and SCENES\INCDEMO sub-
directories of the Software in their own scenes. Such permission does not
extend to any other files in the SCENES directory or its sub-directories.
The SCENES files are for the User's enjoyment and education but may not be
the basis of any derivative works unless the file in question explicitly
grants permission to do such."

The license text contains contact information for license enquiries.

If you have used files where permission has not been explicitly granted,
then you still have the option of contacting the copyright owners for
permission.
Where permission has been granted, whether in the files or otherwise it is
obviously polite to give appropriate credits.

Regards,
Chris B.