POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : pov64 - linux advice wanted please! : Re: pov64 - linux advice wanted please! Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:32:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pov64 - linux advice wanted please!
From: Ross
Date: 5 Dec 2005 14:02:51
Message: <43948edb$1@news.povray.org>
"Tek" <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote in message
> 1/ what version of linux should I get?

As other have said, SuSE is pretty good. I prefer Ubuntu though. Ubuntu
however, didn't install all the necessary development tools by default,
however it's update program "Synaptic" is very easy to use and very easy to
select what you need. development tools would be needed to build POV-Ray
from source.

both SuSE and Ubuntu have 64 bit versions

> 2/ how much better is 64-bit pov compared to 32-bit on the same system?
> (i.e. is it worth the effort?)

I got about 21% speed increase on benchmark.ini going from 32 bit to
self-compiled 64 bit POV-Ray. See povray.benchmarking for details.