POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : is pi in any of the standard included fonts? (also, random character stream= : Re: is pi in any of the standard included fonts? (also, random character stream= Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:15:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: is pi in any of the standard included fonts? (also, random character stream=
From: Brian Elliott
Date: 5 Dec 2005 04:37:37
Message: <43940a61@news.povray.org>
"Smws" <smw### [at] poboxcom> wrote in message
> So, I have several questions, and this group has been extremely helpful
> before:
>
> 1)I was wanting to put the greek letter lowercase "pi" on a sphere, and I
> was wondering if any of the ttfs included with POV had anything besides
> the
> standard ASCII. If not, are there free ttfs that do? If so, how would I
> reference that character in calling the text object? How can I see what
> letters are in a given ttf, anyway?

As Alain says, Pi is not in PoV-Ray included font files, but if you have
MS Windows, you are still in luck.  Pi is in the standard Windows font,
"Symbol".  It is in the same position in the font as the small letter "p",
and you won't need Unicode to get at it.

text {
  ttf  "symbol.ttf", "p",
  0.2,  0
  pigment {rgb <.8,.5,.4>}
  translate <0,0,2>
}

To access the fonts in Windows without typing full path names, add this
line to your master povray.ini file.

    Library_Path="C:\WINDOWS\Fonts"

You might also need to check your pvengine.ini file to ensure that
%FONTDIR% is included in the [Permitted Input Paths] section, but
I think this is already there by default in the PoV-Ray installation.

> Thanks!
> Stefan Sittler

Cheers!
  Brian