POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : is pi in any of the standard included fonts? (also, random character stream= : Re: is pi in any of the standard included fonts? (also, random character stream= Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:17:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: is pi in any of the standard included fonts? (also, random character stream=
From: Alain
Date: 4 Dec 2005 23:17:22
Message: <4393bf52@news.povray.org>
Smws nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-12-04 22:51:
> So, I have several questions, and this group has been extremely helpful
> before:
>
> 1)I was wanting to put the greek letter lowercase "pi" on a sphere, and I
> was wondering if any of the ttfs included with POV had anything besides the
> standard ASCII. If not, are there free ttfs that do? If so, how would I
> reference that character in calling the text object? How can I see what
> letters are in a given ttf, anyway?
>
> 2)In the same vein, is there an elegant way to get a random text stream? I'm
> filling a sphere with text and it would be nice to use this. I thought of
> referencing an array with each character as an element, but that seems
> tedious to construct (maybe I'm just really lazy).
You can use the ascii code directly.

> 3)In the course of making this scene, I have hacked together some macros for
> writing and engraving text (procedurally) on a sphere in various ways. It
> was time-consuming for me, as I am fairly new to programming, but if
> there's any interest I would be glad to post it. (For example I have a
> version of the colors.inc demo scene that writes the name of the colors on
> the spheres :))
>
> Thanks!
> Stefan Sittler

The greek leter pi is not in the provided fonts. It is present in some other fonts,
mainly
mathematical themed ones. It's also available in extended unicode fonts, like arial
uni, at a
position well past 256. (that font include all of the windings and other extra
characters sets
besside arabic, chinese and others languages) You need to add charset utf8 in
global_settings to
enable unicode use.
Take a look in the fonts folder to find what font you need.

--
Alain
If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too?