POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Can Warp's compressor do Mesh2 with textures? : Re: Can Warp's compressor do Mesh2 with textures? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:12:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can Warp's compressor do Mesh2 with textures?
From: St
Date: 28 Nov 2005 04:32:58
Message: <438aceca@news.povray.org>
"Stefan Viljoen polard.com>" <spamnot@<removethis> wrote in message
news:438aa096@news.povray.org...
> St. spake:
>

>> "Stefan Viljoen polard.com>" <spamnot@<removethis> wrote in message
>>
>>> (and make the UV textures maps still work right in the resulting
>>> compressed mesh?)
>>
>>       I'm not sure, it's a long time since I've used it. Have you tried
>> commenting out uv-mapping in your 'seat_POV_geom.inc' file? (At the end
>> of
>> the file).

> Hi Steve,
>
> I haven't tried it yet, but the whole point of the effort for me is to
> reduce the size of the mesh -and- have the UV mapping still work - so if I
> comment out th UV specifications, the question is moot. I can then just as
> well use the uncompressed mesh.

     I use wings, poseray, pov, and always uncomment uv_mapping in my .inc
file, and uv_mapping still works, (it doesn't if I don't uncomment),
although, as you're using Blender, it may not be the same.

> Ever used Blender? The meshes are sourced from there, exported in OBJ
> format
> and then converted using PoseRay - Blender is fine for me personally but
> its .OBJ exporter seems to be a bit lavish with its triangles. Any idea
> how
> I can make Blender be less profligate with exports?

> I wonder because the .blend file for the particular object is 1MB, while
> the
> final .OBJ is more than 10MB...

 I've tried Blender but find it messy. But no, sorry, I can't help with this
apart from I do know that it works fine with wings .obj's, although that was
some time ago now.

      Good luck!  :)

    ~Steve~