POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Radiosity with glass : Re: Radiosity with glass Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:19:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity with glass
From: Sebastian H
Date: 24 Nov 2005 13:07:45
Message: <43860171$1@news.povray.org>
Legio wrote:
> "Sebastian H." <van### [at] gmxde> wrote:
>
>>Legio wrote:
>>
>>>Hi All
>>>
>>>This is my first article in POV news and first of all sorry for my english

>>I'm not completely sure since I never used glass objects with radiosity.
>>But the black sparkle to be seen at the bottom of the glass object
>>seem to come from the underlying plane *touching* the bottom of the
>>glass (coplanar surfaces error). Lifting the glass object a tiny bit
>>(like 1% or less) may help to *disconnect* both objects.
>>
>>Sebastian
>

> Thank you Sebastian for your answer.
> I've tried and got same result just sparkles appeared another place.
> Could it be general error of POV engine or wrong set in RADIOSITY section?
> (I used "best" RADIOSITY set from help of POV-ray)

What radiosity settings are good differ a lot from scene to scene.
It's always a bit trial and error but I'm far from expert here
I just did some example cases.
You could try to increase the count (maximum 1600 iirc) or increase
the error_bound if the image is too grainy.
The latter would reduces the light sample resolution which probably
give a more blurish look but it may help to get rid of the black spots
(I hope I understood this correct). Also increasing nearest_count may
help.

Good luck,
Sebastian