POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Mechsim questions - how can I... (again) : Re: Mechsim questions - how can I... (again) Server Time
13 May 2024 17:19:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mechsim questions - how can I... (again)
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 22 Nov 2005 11:42:02
Message: <43834a59@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann spake:

> Stefan Viljoen <spamnot@ wrote:
>> Hi guys
>>
>> I want to somehow drop spheres into a box, and someone on pov.general
>> suggested that I use megapov's mechsim function. I have taken a look at
>> it, but it looks quite involved... am I correct in stating the following,
>> and if not, why:
>>
>> 1. The mechsim functions can only work with iso-surfaces. I cannot, for
>> example, construct a "container" / constraining set of surfaces from CSG,
>> and expect it to work. Is this wrong or right?

Hi Christoph,

> Wrong.  Both functions and objects are supported as environments.  Yet
> there are good reasons for using functions (as outlined in the docs).

I did read the doc well before posting - I'll just go and take a look again.

>> [...]
>>
>> I.e  can I constrain masses in the Z axis (the "bottom" of the holder)
>> AND the sides (say, in the X axis).? I. e. can I use two axises for
>> constraints and reactions? One being the apparently easily defined
>> mechsim plane, and the other the "inner" surfaces of an isosurface
>> containing the masses?
>
> Sorry but i have no idea what you are talking about.  A sample scene
> with explanation what should work differently might be helpful.

Hehe - no need. I went and rendered every mechsim animation in the
distribution archive, and I see that the question is irrelevant. I'll just
try to figure out how the syntax connects to what I see on the screen.

>> 4. Non - circular masses? I know about bars, but can you use another
>> isosurface or a well-behaved mesh with an in and outside? I. e. use
>> something other than a sphere or a bar as a visual representation for a
>> mass?

> As explained in the docs you can build up arbitrarily complex shapes
> from masses, connections and faces.  mechsim.inc contains macros for
> some basic ones (blocks, patches and lines).  How you visualize the
> simulation results is up to you (mechsim.inc contains macros for this as
> well).

Ok - I'll see if I can figure it out...

>> 5. Mechsim works exclusively in animations
>
> No.  The mechsim patch in fact works completely independent from the
> animation feature (although you can of course use the clock variable).

Hmm.

>> If I am asinine or not worth answering, does anybody have a pointer to
>> any tutorials or docs except those that already come with MegaPov?

> In fact the sample and tutorial scenes already contain several examples
> quite close to 'filling spheres into a container'.  tutorial03.pov and
> glow_sim.pov in particular might be useful (in combination with
> simulation method 4).

I rendered all of them, I'll just have to puzzle out the syntax myself then.

> Christoph

Thanks for the reply!

Regards,
--
Stefan Viljoen
Software Support Technician / Programmer