POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Non-linear movement : Re: Non-linear movement Server Time
5 Jul 2024 09:42:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Non-linear movement
From: John VanSickle
Date: 12 Nov 2005 11:23:04
Message: <437616e8$1@news.povray.org>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:

> Did some tweaking with a way to get non-linear movement.  I'd had one
> before, but when I actually plotted the curve, it was embarassing how
> little deviation from linearity there was.
>
> Now I've got it set up, perhaps too strongly, with a cos()^n, n<1 function.
> A buggy version of this code is release in my recent p.g. posting.
>
> So the point is to see to what extent the movement in the raising of the
> hand is like that of a real human, not that it's thematically releveant
> that a guy would be doing that.

I have this macro that I use in every animation:

#macro Transition(Start,End,Swerve,Phase)
   #local tP=min(1,max(0,Phase))*pi;
   #local aL=(1-cos(tP))/2;
   #local aS=(1-cos(tP*2))/2;
   ( (Start)+(End-Start)*aL + (Swerve)*aS )
#end

This is quite good for most applications.  Start and End are
self-explanatory.  Swerve allows movement to the side at the mid-point
of the motion.  Phase controls the timine of the motion, so for
animations you should put a clock-based value in here.

Hope this helps,
John