POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POVRay thesis : Re: POVRay thesis Server Time
6 May 2024 15:34:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay thesis
From: Ben Chambers
Date: 4 Nov 2005 23:45:59
Message: <436c3907@news.povray.org>
A Large Negro wrote:
> Hello,

> In particular I would like to apply something called GPGPU to POVRay.
> GPGPU stands for General Purpose processing on a GPU. More information
> on GPGPU can be found here:  http://www.gpgpu.org

Find me a GPU with double precision floating point, and you might make a
start.  Currently, they're only just now (or maybe in the last year or
so) supporting single-precision through the entire pipeline.  Given that
most people are still running cards that don't even have that, I doubt
NVidia or ATI will soon be releasing double-precision cards.

Anyway, the paralelization of GPUs is different from what is needed for
POV-Ray.  True, GPUs have parralel pipelines - that are usually doing
the same thing.  Even if they are working on different pixels, they're
usually at least running the same program.  You wouldn't call different
shaders for different pixels.  For POV-Ray, this might be needed, due to
the interdependance of most scene elements (thanks to refraction,
reflection, etc).  The only way to do this under the current GPU
paradigm would be to write a shader that contains the *whole* of
POV-Ray, and let it loose.

...Chambers