POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ringworld re-re-revisited : Re: Ringworld re-re-revisited Server Time
4 May 2024 15:46:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ringworld re-re-revisited
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 1 Nov 2005 04:49:56
Message: <43673a44$1@news.povray.org>
David Buck wrote:
High!

> There's a value called EPSILON (see frame.h) which defines a small value
> and anything smaller would be considered 0 in some of the calculations.
>  This value is set to 1e-10 which is dangerously close in magnitude to 1
> / 90,000,000 (the scale of Ringworld).

To which version of PoV-Ray do you refer? When I played around with very
small objects some years ago (must have been version 3.1), I found out
that everything smaller than about 1/12,000 unit was not rendered
anymore... so I wonder that nowdays epsilon should have been lowered
down to 1e-10, which is a cool six orders of magnitude smaller!

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Now playing: Tubular Bells Part 2 (Mike Oldfield)