POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : A perplexity... : Re: A perplexity... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:26:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A perplexity...
From: Brian Elliott
Date: 31 Oct 2005 03:10:09
Message: <4365d161$1@news.povray.org>
"Patrick Hagerty" <pat### [at] daeoriaorg> wrote in message
> OK.  I tried it.  It worked.
>
> I was simply failing to think in three dimensions.  A plane is two
> dimensional,
> a box is three dimensional.  That's what I get for doing most of my
> POV-Ray
> work in the evening after a day of mind numbing work.
>
> Thanks again.

Hello Pat,

Not meaning to be a pain, and it doesn't impact your gem solution, but just
to explain pedantically in order to be safe...  In PovRay's Constructive
Solid Geometry, a plane is considered a 3-Dimensional object - ie. like a
box, the plane has an inside and an outside, except the inside of a plane
extends infinitely.  A triangle or polygon, however is two-dimensional - it
has no inside nor outside.

If you invert the normal of the plane, eg, from y to -y, the plane will look
identical, however "inside" and "outside" are reversed.  This will make a
big difference to the behaviour of unions, intersections and differences.
It also impacts on media.

Cheers,
   Brian