POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ringworld re-re-revisited : Re: Ringworld re-re-revisited Server Time
29 Apr 2024 15:10:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ringworld re-re-revisited
From: Alain
Date: 29 Oct 2005 11:26:16
Message: <43639498$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Williams nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-10-29 09:56:
> Wasn't it Thomas de Groot who wrote:
>
>>Would more scaling down help? My model has currently a radius of 95,000 pov
>>units, but also translated 95,000 units to keep the camera near the origin.
>>It is possible to scale everything down more of course, without changing the
>>aspect of the scene...
>

> That was the first thing I tried when Bill posted the example scene.
> It's easy to do, just reduce all those numbers by a factor of 1000 or
> 100000. But the result stays exactly the same in this case.
>
> It look's like it's not the absolute size of the values that causes the
> effect in this particular case, but the loss of precision.

You need 128 bit FPU! Now, they are 64 bits. In this case, double precision is just
not enough, you
need quadruple precision (or more!). It can be emulated, but it will take a LOT more
time to do the
maths, leading to proebitive render time.

--
Alain
E=MC^2.. I'm not fat! I'm energetic!