POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ringworld re-re-revisited : Re: Ringworld re-re-revisited Server Time
29 Apr 2024 17:13:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ringworld re-re-revisited
From: David Buck
Date: 29 Oct 2005 09:43:02
Message: <43637c66$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> "David Buck" <dav### [at] simberoncom> schreef in bericht
>

>>I've run into problems like this before.  POVRay is designed for
>>rendering scenes of "normal" sizes where "normal" is in the range of
>>arount 100,000 units from the origin.
>>

> Would more scaling down help? My model has currently a radius of 95,000 pov
> units, but also translated 95,000 units to keep the camera near the origin.
> It is possible to scale everything down more of course, without changing the
> aspect of the scene...
>
> Thomas

That's one possibility but it might not work.  The problem may be the
relative scales of the scene.  If you scale it down to 95,000 pov units
you'll want scale the camera position as well which may cause the same
problems in calculations.  I suspect the problem is having a camera so
close to a relatively huge object no matter what the scale is.  You may
have the same problem with an ordinary scene and moving the camera to
0.00000001 pov units from an object.

Keep in mind, this is educated speculation since I haven't actually
tested this particular scenario, but I suspect it's causing a problem.
Try scaling down the world and see what happens, but I suspect you'll
have the same problem.  Changing EPSILON may be the only realistic answer.

David Buck