POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Has the Blobman been retired? : Re: Has the Blobman been retired? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:21:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Has the Blobman been retired?
From: Chris B
Date: 21 Oct 2005 05:09:05
Message: <4358b031$1@news.povray.org>
"Ard" <ard### [at] waikatoacnz> wrote in message
> I'm after some human figures to populate a model I've built of a rock
> concert.
> At the moment it's a Milli Vanilli gig: lots of effects but no talent.
>
> I don't particularly want to use Poser because while Windows is an option
> I'm doing most of the rendering under Linux.  The characters don't have to
> be that fabulous, and if I use them in the audience as well as on stage,
> they need to be cheap to render.
>
> So the Blobman will suit, but the macros are five years old.  Is there a
> version more recent than 4.2?  Or has the Blobman been superceded?
>
> Many, many thanks in advance.

I think blobman 4.2 is the most recent and I get the impression that the
author (Peter Houston) doesn't maintain it anymore.

I'm just working towards releasing POV-Person V2 which sits in the same sort
of space and includes posable figures, crowd generation macros and animation
capabilities.
I recently posted a preliminary animated walking sequence on
povray.binaries.animations if you want to get an idea what one of the V2
figures looks like.

The crowd generation macro is fairly quick. The time obviously depends on
how many different characters you want in the scene, on the total number of
figures and on the complexity of each figure.
I've just done a test scene with 1000 simple people objects based on 10
different characters and it's taken about 15 minutes to render.
I'll post the resulting image in povray.binaries.images.

I'll be working at fixing issues and on documentation over the next couple
of weeks.

Chris B.