POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Nonuniform data to povray mesh-type object : Re: Nonuniform data to povray mesh-type object Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:12:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nonuniform data to povray mesh-type object
From: TJ Giese
Date: 20 Oct 2005 00:43:04
Message: <43572058$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Williams wrote:
> My guess is that you'd be better off performing the interpolation
> required to generate data for an evenly spaced grid in an external
> program and outputting it as a df3 file.

Ah. Nice.  Based on your comment, I googled "df3" and have found
some results that are very encouraging and I include links here
so if anyone searches the news group for this topic, they will
hopefully run across these as possibilities to consider.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7486

Leigh Orf describes creating a df3 file, declaring it as a povray
function, and then creating an isosurface object that acts on that
declared function, i.e.,

#declare DENSFUNC=function
{ pattern {
   density_file df3 "cloud.df3" interpolate 1
} }
isosurface {function { 0.1 - DENSFUNC(x,y,z) }

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.utilities/thread/%3C41605076@news.povray.org%3E/

Andrew Le Couteur Bisson describes are program he has written
that transforms a df3 file to a mesh2 object.