POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Where Do I Start? : Re: Where Do I Start? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:20:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where Do I Start?
From: Alain
Date: 19 Oct 2005 12:19:26
Message: <4356720e$1@news.povray.org>
Matte nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-10-19 05:11:
> "Chris B" <c_b### [at] btconnectcomnospam> wrote:
>
>>"Matte" <Eil### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in message
>>

>>Hi Matte,
>>
>>It sounds from your question as though you think POV-Ray is a modeller,
>>which it isn't. It's a ray tracing engine that takes text based scene
>>definition files and renders them. So to take 3D objects modelled in a
>>modeller you would convert them into POV-Ray format and include them in a
>>scene file using a text editor (no concept of import involved). To write
>>anything in POV-Ray you need to understand POV-Ray's Scene Definition
>>Language to at least a basic level.
>>
>>If you were looking for a modeller instead, there are plenty about.
>>There's a list at
>>http://www.povray.org/resources/links/3D_Programs/Modelling_Programs/
>>
>>Regards,
>>Chris B.
>

>>Hi Chris, well that's a "Mind blower!" a graphic image understood as text!
>>So let me get this "straight?"  I take for example my 3D model that I
>>created in SketchUp or Autocad.  And export it as text.  And then just open
>>it up the text file in Povray?  That's amazing!  How it can bounce light off
>>of text info data?  I have a lot of learning to do, this is Wild!  Can I add
>>lights in various places, add direction and intensity to each of them?  I
>>really know almost nothing about rendering programs...Yet, just starting
>>to learn!
>>Mahalo, Thanks,
>>Matte
You need to convert the file generated by Autocad or SketchUp. From Autocad, export as
DXF. A good
tool to do that is PoseRay, it's free.
What POV Ray does, is to interpret a formated text file that describe your scene. That
text file
describe several objects. For each pixel, it evaluate if "something" is there. That
something
(object) is atributed a texture, possibly some reflecivity and/or transparence.
You can add various lights. Those lights can be point lights, spotlights, parallel
(simulating
extremely distant light sources, like the sun). A spotlight or parallel light need to
be oriented
toward some point. Each light have it's own intensity, color and fading (no fading by
default).

A good start is to go trough the tutorial that comes with any distrubution. There is
also a very
good documentation, read it. You also have various sample scenes (all those *.POV
files) that show
you various techniques.

--
Alain