POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Has the Blobman been retired? : Re: Has the Blobman been retired? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:21:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Has the Blobman been retired?
From: Alain
Date: 18 Oct 2005 17:06:34
Message: <435563da$1@news.povray.org>
Ard nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-10-17 22:01:
> I'm after some human figures to populate a model I've built of a rock
> concert.
> At the moment it's a Milli Vanilli gig: lots of effects but no talent.
>
> I don't particularly want to use Poser because while Windows is an option
> I'm doing most of the rendering under Linux.  The characters don't have to
> be that fabulous, and if I use them in the audience as well as on stage,
> they need to be cheap to render.
>
> So the Blobman will suit, but the macros are five years old.  Is there a
> version more recent than 4.2?  Or has the Blobman been superceded?
>
> Many, many thanks in advance.

If your going to have many figures, using mesh based can become "cheaper" than 100s of
blobmen.
Meshes are defined once then reffered as needed. Using PoseRay, you can convert a
poser character to
POV Ray format, and then, it become platform independent. The audience been mostly in
darker area,
the bottom 2/3 oculted, you can have 4~8 different ones using only the 1/3 top part,
randomely
picked, placed with a slight vertical jitter and simple textures.

--
Alain
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,