POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Callling all Earth renderers - Blue Marble "next generation" : Re: Callling all Earth renderers - Blue Marble "next generation" Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:22:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Callling all Earth renderers - Blue Marble "next generation"
From: Rick DeNatale
Date: 17 Oct 2005 10:15:21
Message: <4353b1f9$1@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> BTW an early test render (using the 2km variant) can be found on:
>
> http://www.imagico.de/files/bmng1.jpg

Christoph,

I've found your gallery of planet renderings quite interesting and useful.

I building up a scene showing the early stage of re-entry of John
Glenn's "Friendship 7" Mercury spacecraft. I've been working on modeling
the earth as it would be seen from about 90 miles (145 km) altitude,
probably somewhere over Texas.  The 8 km/pixel BlueMarble map is
obviously too coarse, and the 2 km/pixel map is two big to render in my
machine (3/4 GiB RAM).

You have some very nice renderings which seem to be a a fairly low
altitude, but I can't seem to find a description on your web site of how
you did it (or just what the altitude is).

Any tips?  I've thought of trying to slice up the whole earth image
somehow, is this what you did?  My thought is to process the image with
the convert tool from ImageMagick.  If you are doing a "close-up" like
this do you switch from a spherical to a planar projection on the image
map or do you use some other tricks?

Any advices would be welcome.