POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Where Do I Start? : Re: Where Do I Start? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:27:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where Do I Start?
From: Chris B
Date: 16 Oct 2005 04:28:35
Message: <43520f33@news.povray.org>
"Matte" <Eil### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in message
> Hi All
> I was trying to begin using Povray to check it out.  But I can't even
> figure
> out how to import a 3d Model into Povray to start playing around? I can
> only see some sort of Povray extentions I have never seen before in any of
> the programs I have used? Any advice?
> Thanks,
> Matte

Hi Matte,

It sounds from your question as though you think POV-Ray is a modeller,
which it isn't. It's a ray tracing engine that takes text based scene
definition files and renders them. So to take 3D objects modelled in a
modeller you would convert them into POV-Ray format and include them in a
scene file using a text editor (no concept of import involved). To write
anything in POV-Ray you need to understand POV-Ray's Scene Definition
Language to at least a basic level.

If you were looking for a modeller instead, there are plenty about.
There's a list at
http://www.povray.org/resources/links/3D_Programs/Modelling_Programs/

Regards,
Chris B.