POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Perfect Image Re-Render? : Re: Perfect Image Re-Render? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:22:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Perfect Image Re-Render?
From: Chris B
Date: 13 Oct 2005 18:36:09
Message: <434ee159@news.povray.org>
news:434eccf0@news.povray.org...
> Chris B <c_b### [at] btconnectcomnospam> wrote:
>> If you're using a perspective camera you'll get problems because you'll
>> need
>> to adjust for the distortion that perspective introduces (and that is
>> likely
>> to be inordinately difficult).
>
>  If the plane containing the image map is completely perpendicular to
> the direction of the camera, can you explain what kind of perspective
> distortion happens there?
>
> --
>                                                          - Warp

Ah. I think I'm wrong. I was thinking of the distortion you get when a flat
surface is projected onto the curved surface of a retina, but of course the
camera in a ray tracer is a perfect point and the projection is onto a flat
plane, so you should be able to get a mapping from one plane to another.
With the default image_map scaling giving you an image from <0,0,0> to
<1,1,0> you should then be able to set the up vector to y and the right
vector to x with the camera at <0.5,0.5,-1> and look_at <0.5,0.5,0> and get
a perfect pixel for pixel mapping.

Chris B.