POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : viewing frustum prediction : Re: viewing frustum prediction Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:24:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: viewing frustum prediction
From: Alain
Date: 13 Oct 2005 11:21:11
Message: <434e7b67$1@news.povray.org>
spl nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-10-12 19:58:
> Is there a way of determining whether an object is within the viewing
> frustum?
>
> I'd like to avoid loading texture maps for objects outside of the viewing
> frustum, which can considerably slow down the parsing of the scene file.

The bets thing I came up is to use dummy or development textures. I render with the
dummies, see
what objects are visible, including in reflections, then apply the final textures.
Have something like #declare UseTestTexture = 1;
Then, in the texture block of your objects you add:
#if(UseTestTexture)
	<your simple dummy texture>
#else
	<your quality texture>
#end
You can also use lower quality (smaller) maps for objects only seen in reflection or
refractions,
specialy if the reflector is curved.
You can also try using different graphic formats, the smaller the file, the faster it
get. Never use
BMP or other uncompressed formats. PNG and JPG are good choices.

--
Alain