POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Not using CPU during rendering : Re: Not using CPU during rendering Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:23:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not using CPU during rendering
From: Alain
Date: 8 Oct 2005 17:34:22
Message: <43483b5e$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Williams nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-10-08 03:57:
> Wasn't it Slime who wrote:
>
>>>reduce the size of your scene
>>
>>For example, does your scene use large image maps, huge numbers of CSG
>>objects, heavy radiosity or photons? Depending on the cause it may be
>>possible to reduce the memory usage without reducing the quality of the
>>image.
>

> It's more likely that the bulk of the memory is taken up with those five
> DAZ Millenium figures. I use the reduced resolution DAZ figures and the
> converted .inc files are about 15Mb each.

That's 75 Mb. Add the ram used by POV-Ray itself, the base scene file and any other
include. Add the
space used by all textures. Add your backdrop. Add the internal representation of
everything in the
scene... That can add up real fast. If you also use radiosity, add the radiosity data.
To check how much RAM you sue, hit Ctrl+Shift+Esc to summon the task manager and find
"pvengine.exe"
in the process tab. It's probably way larger than your installed memory.

--
Alain
Bad spellers of the world UNTIE!