POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Blog article on POVRay : Re: Blog article on POVRay Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:28:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blog article on POVRay
From: David Buck
Date: 8 Oct 2005 06:55:14
Message: <4347a592$1@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> David Buck wrote:
> Nice to see you stray by.  As you said a bit of the spirit of the good
> old times(tm) often would be good.
>
> Interesting reading and thanks for the flowers. ;-)
>
> I had a look at the DKBTrace source from the link you gave and it's
> amazing how much from this is still in POV-Ray today.  The sad side is
> the amount of bloat added: your lighting.c is 835 lines, today
> lighting.cpp is 6287 lines.

At the time, of course, we didn't have photons or radiosity.  That adds
a lot to lighting.cpp.

When we started, the C++ compilers weren't very mature and we coded it
in straight C with OO-like enhancements.  I'm surprised that this
approach has survived all these years.  POVRay still doesn't use C++
classes.

There was a time when we had implemented refraction wrong.  The images
looked ok, but they weren't correct.  To test it, we took a glass sphere
that a friend of mine had, put it on a real checkerboard and
photographed it. By modeling this scene in POVRay, we could see how well
the refractions matched.

> BTW what is Aaron Collins doing these days?

Aaron is doing some consulting work in Chicago.  If I heard correctly,
he had a bout of cancer and is now in remission.

David Buck