POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Smooth inclined surface with hills : Re: Smooth inclined surface with hills Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:26:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smooth inclined surface with hills
From: gonzo
Date: 4 Oct 2005 23:39:31
Message: <43434af3@news.povray.org>
Architect wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a specific scene in mind. I want to create a smooth land with small
> hills. From the camera, surface goes down and comes back up in the
> distance.  I was'nt able to create a heightfield that can be rendered as I
> wanted. Heightfield generators seem to work well for randomly created
> terrains but not for specific topologies. I tried terragen and was very
> unhappy with the result.

Try planetgenesis...  http://planetgenesis.sourceforge.net/

It has a number of different noise generators and you can combine them
in different ways. Some ripples with a gradient should get what you
describe.

> 1) Is there a an easy way to paint the heightfield in any tool?

Check out Cinepaint http://cinepaint.sourceforge.net/

It can handle 16 bit greyscales, I use it to tweak the output from
planetgenesis, great for carving rivers and stuff...

RG