POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Group Protocol - where to put stuff : Re: Group Protocol - where to put stuff Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:22:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Group Protocol - where to put stuff
From: Warp
Date: 1 Oct 2005 02:26:02
Message: <433e2bfa@news.povray.org>
Mike the Elder <zer### [at] wyanorg> wrote:
> Hey folks.  A recent post by a new member has inspired me to finish up an
> old project - a POV file for easy graphing of various z=f(x,y) type surface
> functions.

  No offence intended, but isn't that quite a trivial thing nowadays in
povray? I mean, you can write just something like:

heightfield
{ function 100,100 { <the f(x,y) function here> }
  smooth
  scale <appropriate scaling>
  translate <appropriate translate>
}

and there you are.

  Making an equivalent isosurface isn't much more difficult either (although
it may be slower and requires tuning the max_gradient; otoh it will not show
the artifacts smooth heightfields often do...)

> According to the standard practices and protocols for this group, what is
> the easiest/best way to post the different parts of my response?  Putting
> the images in the "images" section, the render files in the "render files"
> section and entering yet a third post explaining the whole thing with links
> to the first two SEEMS like what is called for by the way the site is
> arranged, but that also seems rather convoluted and scattered.

  I don't know about others, but personally if someone scatters a post
among three different groups I usually skip that post altogether. I'm
too lazy to try to find all the scattered pieces and try to see them
all toghether.

>  In the
> absence of any better suggestions, I will probably just toss up a quick web
> page of my own and link to the stuff there, but that seems like a second
> rate solution as well.

  Why would that be a second rate solution? IMO it's the best possible
solution. You can use html markup to create a nicely-formatted document
of your work, explaining things and showing example images.

--
                                                          - Warp