POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : TesselSphere-1.3.0-beta release : Re: TesselSphere-1.3.0-beta release Server Time
26 Apr 2024 20:32:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TesselSphere-1.3.0-beta release
From: St
Date: 29 Sep 2005 07:13:15
Message: <433bcc4b@news.povray.org>
"Nicholas Shea" <nic### [at] tiscalicouk> wrote in message

> "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:

> Hi Steve.

   Hi Nicholas - sorry for the delay, it's been one of *those* weeks at
work!  ;)

> The FLTK file chooser widget can be little strange when first coming
> from windows. If the text below is not immediately obvious, I have
> taken some screen shots which you can download from here:
>
> http:://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/oaktree/nshea/tesselsphere/download/filesave-pics.zip

   Thanks, got that. Yes, I didn't realise it was doing the autocomplete
thing. Like you've said, I just add a unique filename now, and that works
fine.

> filesave1.jpg...
   <snip>

> The saved INC file should end with the auto initialization macros.
> They look like this:
>
> // ------------------------------------------------------------------
> //
> // #include auto initialization
> //
> // ------------------------------------------------------------------
> // including this file will auto initialize the Polyhedron data:
> TS_Init_Vertces()
> TS_Init_Vertces_Array()
> TS_Init_Centrum_Vertices()
> TS_Init_Centrum_Vertices_Array()
> TS_Init_Apex_Vertices()
> TS_Init_Apex_Vertices_Array()
> TS_Init_Cell_Arrays()
> TS_Init_Edges_Array()

   Well, I definately wasn't getting this...

> A successful save should be reported in the log window. Eg:
>
> <----------------------------------------------------->
> Wrote file: C:/my-docs/dev/tesselsphere-mingw-1.3.0/tesselsphere/test.inc
>   Vertices: 3366
>   cells: 908
>   unique edges: 3372
> <----------------------------------------------------->

   ...or this. (But I'm getting it now on simple files).

> Make sure you are using the 1.3.0-beta.

     Yes, definately.

> There was a bug when saving files that was introduced in a previous
> version
> but I thought I'd fixed it. If you can repeat the bug with 1.3.0-beta,
> please let me know the details so I can try to replicate it. Thanks for
> your time in reporting this.
>
> It is great to get genuine feedback :) I sometimes wonder if my site is
> really public at all!

     Glad to at least try and help - I'm no programmer, so please bare with
me, and I'll help if I can. If you want me to do anything specific, then
just fire away with what you want.  :)

     Ok, first of all, here's my setup if it's of any use to you:

       XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
       AMD Duron(tm) Processor ,  MMX,  3DNow, ~600MHz
       512MB RAM
       NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE

   I've had a good play with Tesslesphere this morning, and I've noticed a
couple of things. When I first started playing with it earlier this week, I
think I was a little too impatient and not giving TS a chance to do its
thing after clicking around on various buttons, which is why all of a
sudden, it would just disappear from the screen, (literally, it would just
disappear without any warning). So I learnt to watch the FPS field and let
it go up to around the 40 to 50 mark - that helped a lot.

    The other thing that I found was that TS will save a simple file, but
won't save a complicated file, (even after doing the above). I don't know
what a 'complicated' file is when using TS, but I've uploaded a screenshot
so you can at least see what will cause TS to crash when trying to save a
file: http://website.lineone.net/~25ct/test.htm

    Again, this crashed TS as soon as it got to the "Making Cell Edges
unique [pass2]" stage. It also took about thirty minutes to get to this
stage, so would this be normal? I'm thinking it might be my setup, and maybe
it's not powerful enough?

     ~Steve~